Thursday, September 13, 2007

Learning Styles

According to the test, I am naturalistic and logical. Naturalists find common traits among items and rank the items by significance. Logical people analyze abstract ideas and attempt to find consistency. I enjoy spending time outdoors, so this helps to show why I enjoy nature. When I learn or walk around, I am often analyzing situations. Generally, I try to see how to improve the efficiency of situations by breaking down systems into their components. For example, if I am walking, I will look at the fastest route; I will look at varying factors: how direct the route is and the obstacles associated with the route.
Logical students generally like to analyze problems mathematically. This could be self-discovery learning. For example, a student may need to determine where pi comes from. A teacher would have the students measure the circumference and diameter, then divide the circumference by the diameter. Naturalistic students want to organize and sort information. In the classroom, a student may want to find properties of a leaf, and then explain how this makes the two leafs different.
I will support logical students by offering open-ended assignments. I will let the students make their own inductions about the information they are learning. Furthermore, the students can debate with other students to help express their opinions. For naturalistic students, I will provide ways of showing ideas visually. While doing a pre-write explanation in class, I could draw the “spider web,” where students will connect ideas of a draft visually.
Technologies to support the logistical intelligence are generally based in mathematics. For example, while doing a lab, students could use a measuring scale to compare the various masses of rocks. In this same lesson, naturalistic students may want to use a microscope so they could visually see the differences on the rocks.
My attention to multiple intelligences will affect how interested my students are in the topics. To grasp my students’ interest, it is necessary to have them understand. If I am not teaching to their intelligences, then I am losing portions of their abilities to understand.

No comments: